Two very significant addresses are directly tied to the history of the Summit House Condominiums. They are 325 Clifton Avenue and 400-410 Groveland Avenue. Both situated at the summit of historic Lowry Hill. From 1905 – 1968, the Frederic W. Clifford house, designed by famed architect, Harry W. Jones, graced the hilltop with its front lawn extending to Groveland Avenue, with the 325 Clifton address.
In 1966 construction began on architect, Paul Pink’s “‘superstructures”, later to be titled The Summit House and bear the addresses 400-410 Groveland Avenue.
In May 1967, before the IDS Tower was built in downtown Minneapolis, the 410 tower of Summit House became one of the new premier addresses to rent a home. One bedroom units could be rented for $165. Summit House remained a rental property until the early 1980’s when it ‘went condo’.
Another large scale, historical event at Summit House occurred between August 2006 and February 2007- the demolition and reconstruction of the 400 parking plaza. This nearly one million dollar project was necessary to resolve some structural issue found to be present in the old plaza.